Friday 22 June 2012

L's Story: "Mental health can be a lottery".


Hi,

I presented with depression and had many years of unsuccessful treatment.  Drugs were not monitored and no-one could come up with a diagnosis.  I did lots of voluntary work and study and had to live near my family.  My mental health was up and down for well over 10 years.  

In 1998 I met a clever consultant, who eventually moved back to India.  I told him: “You are clever and you have cured me”.  My key worker said I would never see hospital again.  I am bipolar and although it carries a stigma, at least I am mainly positive.  Modern drugs make a difference.  

However, to start with I had two dreadful doctors, so mental health can be a lottery.   

Best wishes,
‘L’

1 comment:

  1. Hi 'L'
    Nice that you found a 'clever' doctor who you feel got you well again.
    Like you I carry the Bi-polar label but this is a very wide ranging term and like you say it can be stigmatising.
    Nice to know however that many well thought of and prominent people have this 'condidtion' too and aren't afraid to mention it.
    Stephen Fry, John Cleese, and Spike Milligan are examples. Yes it may seem these are a little quirky but theres also the Chief Executive of The Nottinghamshire healthcare Trust, Mike Cooke - a very affable people person also actively leading the way to better understanding.
    Personally I am still not sure my diagnosis is right but working with it with medication does seem to have prevented me experiencing any serious relapse in the last 10 years - by which I mean I have not been admitted to hospital in all that time, and thats something I hope will continue.
    Keep on being positive 'L' but with your eyes open, ready to knock it on the head and give yourself space when you feel low. I don't think a chemical chosh is the answer.

    ReplyDelete